Friday, January 6, 2017

Little Penguins Friday!

I'm getting ready for Winter storytimes to be starting at my library, so I've been gathering new books and coming up with themes (Children's Librarians LOVE a theme). This new book by Cynthia Rylant has been in my pile since I got it in, so I thought I'd share with Susanna Leonard Hill's Perfect Picture Books community! I would usually do this on my work blog, but this is going to serve as a reminder to me of what a great picture book by 2 major award-winners can look like. The text and illustrations complement each other picture-book-perfectly!


LITTLE PENGUINS
Words by Cynthia Rylant
Pictures by Christian Robinson
Schwartz & Wade, 2016
Ages 3-7, fiction
Acrylic & collage
Themes: penguins, winter fun, clothes, snow, Antarctica

Snowflakes? Many snowflakes.
Winter is coming!
Mittens? Many mittens.

And so begins the classic tale of venturing out to play in the snow. But in the hands of Rylant and Robinson (who illustrated Schools First Day of School and Last Stop On Market Street) this tried and true story becomes a charming look at 5 adorable big-headed penguins and their Mama as they dress, sled, and enjoy warm cookies and sippies after. The spare text is enhanced by the fun illustrations that little ones are sure to love.

Here are a few places you can find rhymes and craft extensions when using this story with children. Also, check out Christian Robinson's The Art of Fun page if you need some art inspiration!

And according to Artsy Craftsy Mom, it's Penguin Awareness Day on January 20. Who knew?

Storytime Katie - Penguins

KidLit Library - Penguins

Artsy Craftsy Mom - Penguin Crafts

2 comments: