Saturday, October 28, 2017

The Halloweensie Spirit (Pt. 2)


Ok, I am SOOO in the spirit that I wrote ANOTHER entry for Susanna Leonard Hill's

THE 7TH ANNUAL HALLOWEENSIE CONTEST!!!!!

~ FOR CHILDREN’S WRITERS ~


I am not usually a writer of rhyme, but this seemed like the perfect place to give it a try (and Halloween seems to call for scary atmosphere or silly rhymes!) A huge THANK YOU to my writer friend and rhyme-guru Nancy Tandon https://nancytandon.com/ for helping me in record time! I still can't believe I got it down to 88 contest words - just goes to show that you can ALWAYS cut more...

ONE HUNGRY MONSTER


Treat bag in hand, this monster was dressed,

Trick-or-treating was finally in sight.

But my tummy rumbled, my monster guts grumbled,

I asked mom “what’s for dinner tonight?”  



She said, “Candy for dinner!” What could be better?

I danced down the shadowy streets.

I ate sour things, gooey things, candy corn chewy things,

My insides filled up with sweets.



When we got home, I counted my loot,

With a belly that rumbled and hurt.

I shed monster fur, pulled off my mask

And asked Mom, “Hey, what’s for dessert?” 


31 comments:

  1. LOL, for someone who doesn't usually write in rhyme, you did a bang up job! Good luck in the contest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM! Candy for dinner! What a lovely thought! And fun rhythm, too! :) Best wishes in the contest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rene, my friend and I actually tried dessert for dinner once but it backfired!

      Delete
  3. Dessert first AND second. Now that's a good meal. Good work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's never enough candy-so kid relatable-love it. Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. And I'm eating an ice cream pop right now, Eileen! I love your mc's mindset...candy, candy, and more candy. What fun! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey thanks for making me an 'internet official' rhyme guru -- I'll add that to my query letters. ;)
    I love the Hallowensie for the playful fun & practice it encourages.
    I ♥️ the ending !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha! Isn't that always the case? I hardly think of time not appropriate for chocolate. :-) Good Luck.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with McMarshall, wash down all that candy with some chocolate. =) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great rhyme! I bet my kids would ask for dessert after trick or treating too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great fun and nice job on the rhyme. I don't rhyme either, but it's almost a given w/so few words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right Kathy?! I was so proud b/c I even had to cut a whole 'stanza'? to get under the 100 and I think it still made sense! Good luck!

      Delete
  11. omg...sugar overload! what a silly monster.
    Nice job with the rhyme. I agree, Halloween screams for rhyming themes.

    best of luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am sure lots of kids can relate to that tonight! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh, my tummy hurts just thinking of all that sugar! A kid's dream come true!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jane, good luck to you! There are so many entries that I can't find everyone anymore to comment!

      Delete
  14. Nicely done, Eileen! Great job for a not-usually-a-rhymer :) and cute story - so kid-true! Love that after all that candy your MC asks for dessert! :)

    ReplyDelete