Friday, October 27, 2017

The Halloweensie Spirit!


I had such fun with Susanna Leonard Hill's holiday writing contest last year that I wanted to try this one:

The 7th Annual HALLOWEENSIE CONTEST!!!!!

~ for children’s writers ~

Check out her blog at https://susannahill.com/blog/

  So the rules are that you have to use 100 words or less, and include the words MONSTER, CANDY CORN (1 word), and SHADOW in a Halloween story. Here goes! I can't wait to read all the fun entries this weekend!




BETTER THAN CANDY CORN


Curious George got the last chewy fruities.
The purple monster nearly bumped me off the step when she grabbed the giant chocolate bar.
Mint patty? Candy corn?
My costume itched.
“Trick-or-treat!” I heard behind me.
I had to think fast – mint patty or candy corn?
Grabbing the candy I jumped off the step, not sure I chose right.
I saw a shadow of big ears by the bushes.
“I dropped all my chewy fruities,” said the sad monkey.
I pulled out the mint candy.
“Want it?”
“Yuck,” said George.
“I know,” I said. “Want to hunt for more chewy fruities?”
George smiled.
 



 

 

28 comments:

  1. It's always a scrum, isn't it, at the outstretched candy dish? Good luck in the contest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had me at mint candy-can't walk away from it-LOL Love the humor! Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Charlotte (I have a Charlotte too!) Off to read all the great entries!

      Delete
  3. Now I want a Andes mint. =) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting that you thought of those! I was thinking Peppermint Patties...

      Delete
  4. Nice job. Fun to see Curious George make an appearance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We just had a trick-or-treat trail at my library and a little boy came as the man with the yellow hat and his little toddler brother was George!

      Delete
  5. What a clever way to keep the candy you like! Well done, Eileen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We would always hunt for the houses that gave out the candy we liked most! Happy Halloween!

      Delete
  6. Fun story - good luck with the contest!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Always second guessing the quick picks :)
    good luck. cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mint patties AND candy corn? That's my kind of house! And even if George and the purple monster disagree, they each made a new friend--and there's nothing sweeter!

    ReplyDelete
  9. All I could think was Don't put the mints with the others! The taste always spreads! Happy it had a happy ending!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, decisions, decisions! The struggle is real!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness! How nicely you captured the crush, the pressure to choose! I have to confess, I would have been disappointed with mint OR fruit chewies... I'm a chocolate girl all the way! :) Thanks for a fun, well-written story, Eileen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susanna! And thanks for the contest even though you are super busy - it's very fun and motivating to write a mini story!

      Delete